Resolutions come in all forms and for all walks of life. Healthy teeth and gums should be on everyone’s New Year’s Resolution list. When you’ve invested so much time and money into achieving your perfect smile, why wouldn’t you want to also strive for the healthiest teeth and gums possible? At West Village Dental, we want you to have the benefits that come from good oral hygiene. This BLOG post will go over some ideas for New Year’s resolutions to promote healthy teeth and gums.
5 New Year’s Resolution Goals
Sticking with your New Year’s Resolution can be tricky, but with these goals, your resolutions can become a reality.
- Schedule regular appointments: Did you know about ⅓ of the US population don’t see a dentist yearly? Scheduling an appointment is one of the most important things you can do for your teeth and gums. Gum disease and other oral health issues can be prevented with regular daily maintenance and dental visits. Booking your next appointment before you leave your dentist’s office is the best way to keep in a good routine.
- Commit to flossing: While brushing is crucial to healthy teeth, it isn’t always enough. Flossing is vital to remove decay causing plaque and build up from around teeth and gums. Keeping convenient travel flossers in your car or purse can help you maintain a good flossing routine.
- Cut back on sugar: There is a direct relationship between the amount of sugar a person eats and the amount of tooth decay they have. Reducing the number of sugary treats you buy or the drinks you order can cut back your risk of tooth decay considerably. Chewing a piece of sugar free gum can help reduce the craving for a sugary treat.
- Quit smoking: Along with the many other health concerns it causes, smoking doubles your risk of gum disease. Consult your doctor for the best and most effective way of kicking the smoking habit. Find healthy ways of replacing the negative behavior and recruit the help of friends and family.
- Eat healthier foods: Once you’ve cut out some of those sugary treats, you can seamlessly add in healthier ones. Milk adds needed calcium to the diet that can strengthen teeth and gums. Fibrous foods can help saliva production and help scrub dangerous plaque from the teeth.
Schedule Your Appointment Today!
New Year’s Resolutions are a great place to make goals and encourage healthier and happier lives. Following through with your goals can be a bit more difficult. With the above tips, you can successfully resolve to have healthier teeth and gums. At West Village Dental, we know you value your teeth and so will we! We will help you understand your treatment options and work through the details with you. We want you to be comfortable and have a positive experience in our office. Call us today at 313-563-4466 to schedule your appointment today!