Often times, patients avoid dental appointments due to the fear of what lies within. Most patients don’t enjoy visiting the dentist, but neglecting your oral health out of fear, or any reason for that matter, can be detrimental to your teeth and gums. When oral issues are left untreated, they can worsen and end up requiring extensive treatment, which is a nightmare for patients who already avoid the dentist’s office. If you do experience anxiety and stress during dental appointments, you should consider sedation dentistry.
Sedation dentistry is a wonderful option for patients who can’t stand the thought of dental appointments. By administering sedatives to patients, they’ll remain calm and at ease, allowing the dentist to work as planned and effectively treat any issue. Here at West Village Dental Care, we proudly offer multiple forms of sedation to help our patients relax throughout treatment, as their comfort is our first priority. We know how stressful trips to the dentist can be, so take a look at our methods of sedation dentistry and find out if it’s the right option for you.
Options for Sedation Dentistry at Our Office
Suffering from stress and anxiety during dental appointments is quite common, but it can be troublesome for both you and the dentist. A squirming patient can make treating issues a difficult task for the dentist, which could lengthen appointment time for you. Fortunately, sedation dentistry is a surefire solution to this kind of problem. Here’s a list of the methods of sedation we offer here in our office:
- Nitrous Oxide: Commonly known as laughing gas, nitrous oxide leaves both your mind and body at ease. You’ll receive the gas through a breathing mask prior to treatment, and you won’t feel a thing throughout.
- Oral Sedation: Best for patients who suffer from more severe stress and anxiety, we’ll prescribe you oral sedatives like Valium or Ativan to take before your appointment. We can even add in the laughing gas if you’d like extra comfort.
- IV Sedation: Administered through a vein, IV sedation is the quickest method of sedation dentistry, with fast-acting effects. We’ll closely watch your levels and adjust them as needed throughout your appointment.
Whichever method of sedation Dr. Mei determines is best for you, each is sure to calm your nerves and keep you comfortable throughout your appointment. Aside from leaving you at ease, sedation dentistry presents a few other benefits.
Benefits for You, the Dentist, & Even Your Wallet
As we’ve mentioned, sedation dentistry is not only beneficial to you as a patient, but also to your dentist. When you are relaxed and still, the dentist can tend to your oral issues more easily and even complete more procedures in one visit. Take a look at all the advantages below:
- Eliminate Anxiety: We’ve covered this! You’ll remain calm and anxiety-free throughout your appointment and before your next, knowing how effective sedation dentistry is.
- Significantly Reduce Pain: Typically, patients don’t feel a thing when under sedatives. You’ll leave our office pain-free.
- Cut Down on Appointments, Save Money: As mentioned, the sedatives allow the dentist to work straight through your appointment without any interruptions. Fewer appointments will help you save on fees, not to mention the time in the office.
Call West Village Dental Care Today!
If you’re one of these patients who suffer from stress, anxiety, or anything else, sedation dentistry is a great option for you! We strive to make every patient feel comfortable and calm from the moment they step into our office. Don’t let your fear get the best of you and schedule an appointment with us today!
You can contact West Village Dental Care here, or give us a call at 313.563.4466.